Prospect – Behind the Scenes – Thrower Case

Prospect, the film I worked on last year building and finishing props and sets, had it’s theatrical release in LA and NY this weekend. With that, I’ve been given the okay to do a handful of behind-the-scenes posts about a couple of the things I made for the movie. I’m only going to share some of my photos of items that appeared in the trailer for now because I don’t want to spoil anything!

Just announced, you can download the ‘Green Moon Manual’ via the Regal Cinemas app or website for just 100 credits!

The Boscelot Frontiersman page is all about Cee’s thrower and features the case I made for it! Cee is the main character, played by Sophie Thatcher in the movie.

To start out I gathered up all of the thrower pieces (that were available, I had to guess on a couple) and figured out a good layout for them inside the case and to get an idea of the overall size of the case. I traced everything out to get a template for my foam later as well. Unfortunately I don’t have photos of the next step but I then cut out the outside case from foam board! I scored it and made it so it would lay flat and fold up to the dimensions I needed.

I then coated the entire foam core box with some extra fabric the wardrobe department had laying about. Then I used my template to hand cut out the insert from EVA foam. I used the same technique I mentioned on the aurelac case – scoring the foam where I wanted cut outs then heating it to make them pop and get a crisp line. What made this trickier is that not all of the pieces are the same thickness but we wanted everything laying flat. You can’t really tell in this photo, but all of the pieces are indented to different levels. To accomplish that I cut all of the pieces out all the way through and then glued the cutouts back in at the right depth before trimming the excess off of the back! I also added a strap to hold the manual because of course the team created a manual for our fake space gun 

Yes, even in the distant future, things are branded so I needed to add a little holder to the outside for the tag.

Although I had embedded magnets in the case flaps, we were worried about the contents being too heavy and the case accidentally flopping open and spilling stuff during shooting so I added two straps as well. Side note, this left over fabric didn’t quite match the color of the fabric that had been used on the thrower itself and we wanted it to so I lightly sprayed the fabric with 2 different Montana Gold spray paints to get the color just right. Then I grimed it up with some charcoal and colored chalk dust (one of my favorite weathering techniques especially on porous/textured fabric)

Here are the almost final thrower parts all loaded into my case!

And lastly, here is a photo of the case fully loaded with the hero prop taken on set!

If you are in Seattle or Portland, I’m going to be seeing the movie once in each city this coming week, and I’d love for you to join me, say hello, and hang out!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.