Emerald City Comic Con 2020 Build! - Billythebrick Cosplay

Emerald City Comic Con 2020 Build!

Bumblbee and Starscream drawn by my son (age 6) at school a few weeks ago after watching my build.

It’s time to reveal a little bit about my big build for Emerald City Comic Con 2020 – Starscream!

Note: My Patreon backers have been following along since the beginning and have and will continue to have full access to the behind the scenes and videos of the build until its final reveal at ECCC so if you want to follow along, join now!

I started the build with the part I was least familiar with – the mask. I decided to try my hand at making a prosthetic mask made out of silicone for the first time so I wanted to tackle this first since it has the greatest potential for failure. To jump start the sculpting process, I made a junk mold of a rough 3D print so I could slush cast Monster Clay in the mold to have a base to sculpt onto my actual plaster head cast. The mask itself is made out of Dragon Skin 20. I have a few videos up to illustrate in detail some of this process:

Video #1 – Making the junk mold for slush casting the clay

Video #2 – Making the rigid mold for silicone casting

Video #3 – Super fast time lapse of video 1 &  2 if you just want to watch the process happen quickly versus listening to me talk for a couple of hours 🙂

I’ve decided to do the majority of the build using EVA foam, specifically HD Foam from SKS Props. I’ve also decided that I’m going to shoot for more human proportions versus a GIANT build so I can be more comfortable and not deal with platforms or stilts. To that end, I am using Armorsmith from The Armored Garage to scale all the templates.

The second piece I made was the helmet, also seen above. With the mask done, I wanted to make sure my scaling of the foam patterns was right and I figured making the helmet and ensuring a good fit with the mask was the next critical step. This photo just shows the rough base helmet that still needs some sanding, patching, and beveling before getting sealed.

Lastly, a little detail I jumped the gun on a little bit. I have been playing a lot with using vinyl cut out on our Cricut Maker. I had the idea to cut the Decepticon logos for my wings out this way and once it was in my head I couldn’t wait for the wings to be done. Hopefully I’ve scaled everything properly otherwise I may be making several real vehicles into Decepticons instead 🙂

This is going to be a long build and I’ll be sharing a little more here before the con, but for a lot of frequent updates and more videos, my Patreon is the place to follow along! However, if you’re not in to commitment, anyone who donated to my ko-fi gets an exclusive updated peek.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Baskerville 2 by Anders Noren.

Up ↑