Prospect – Behind the Scenes – Fuse Box

Prospect, the film I worked on last year building and finishing props and sets, is now scheduled for theatrical release nationwide starting November 2nd and is now even available to pre-order on Blu-ray or on iTunes! With that, I’ve been given the okay to do a handful of behind-the-scenes posts about a couple of the things I made for the movie. I’m only going to share some of my photos of items that appeared in the trailer because I don’t want to spoil anything!

Screenshot from the trailer.When I arrived, I was handed this CNC cut box with all of these cutouts. It was meant to be a fusebox inside a beat up spaceship. I started out by spraying the entire thing with a metallic silver. I then used liquid masking tape to mark off where I wanted the major chips and scratches. I then painted the whole thing a darker, WRONG color than what they wanted. I did this because I wanted to do a little bit more liquid masking tape in some of the same spots to get a layered paint chip effect. And here it is! This is the CORRECT final paint color after I’d taken off all of the liquid masking tape. In some spots you can see the paint layers. I also added some metal grills and details from our scrap bin. I then proceeded to assemble the entire box and do some rusting effects. Then came installing the box into the space ship. You can see this is the same corner Sophie Thatcher is sitting in in the trailer. The tubes being hooked up are meant to be conduit. I made the conduit tubes out of insulation rods covered in the same cotton sock material I used in the aurelac case from my previous post. Once I had all of the conduit tubes in place where I wanted them, I coated them in Shellac. It was a really easy way to give them a patina of sorts AND make them more rigid. So the last component to come together on this were the fuses themselves. The set designer of the box had an idea of how they should function but not exactly what they should look like. I’d went scavenging through our misc parts for an idea when I found, laying inside the ACTUAL fuse box in our shop, a really old tube fuse with a paper label on it.One of the metal working guys bent three steel tubes for me that fit into the slots on the box and I worked with the Graphic Design Supervisor to come up with paper labels that would fit our world. Once they were properly weathers, I mounted them into the box permanently as they didn’t need to move and I didn’t want to risk one falling off.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Baskerville 2 by Anders Noren.

Up ↑