I’m working on a couple of things I hope you’ll all enjoy including more detailed tutorials as well as some video tutorials and how-to type stuff. Let me know if there are any specific things you’d like to see. But in the meantime, I thought I’d do some quick updates on a bunch of the projects on my plate right now!
All of my cold casting supplies from Smooth-on just arrived. I have a little more work to do on prepping the masters for my Voltron coins. This is going to be my first cold casting project so there will be a little trial and error along the way which is also why I’m working on making it my first video. I figure learning and making mistakes together will be pretty fun.
And, while I’m at it with the cold casting, a friend asked if I could make her an actual pin or necklace based on the Rebel safety pin image that’s been going around. I said yes of course and will be making these as well. This is my initial prototype and my master is almost ready to get molded.
In between everything else, I’m still making good progress on my Rito Harp commission. I am almost done sealing and coating it and ready for starting on the final paint job. If you’re wondering what that “tongue” looking thing is on the bottom, that’s the harp strings wrapped in masking tape. I glued them to a dowel that is sandwiched into the foam since I didn’t want them getting pulled out, ever. Once I’m all done painting, I’ll then tie the strings around the nails in the top cross beam.
And lastly, more work on Kanan. First up is the lightsaber. I’ve gotten all of the parts sanded, puttyed, sanded, puttyed… you know the drill… as much as I plan to and am now starting on the final paint. I used a flat black primer on all the metallic pieces to help with the shading and to make the final metallic paints pop more. Using a white or grey primer under metallic paints just doesn’t seem to have the same great final look.
I’m also trying my hand at making my own gloves for Kanan. I’m just not really happy with any of the ones I can buy, plus I love being able to say my costume is 100% hand made :) This series of pics gives you some insight into my process on prototyping and making my own patterns. This is definitely going to turn into a how-to post.
What I spent most of my weekend on was my Kanan pants. I’ve only ever made one other pair of pants before–my Ashitaka pants, and those were a lot easier – sort of baggy and with a drawstring at the top. These are made from a much more form-fitting stretch denim and required a zipper or button fly. The pattern I loosely based my patterns off of had a button fly so I figured I’d give it a go. I’m REALLY happy with how they turned out. These are also the most comfortable pants I own now. I think I’m going to just start making my own clothes going forward. My wife said I was making jeggings and so now we have coined the term “Jedi Jeggings” to describe the pants Kanan wears!
I’m hoping that next weekend with the holiday will allow me to get a lot more done. We shall see.