RenCon Cosplay Contest First Place!

rencon-ashitaka

What the hell just happened?

I decided to finally enter a cosplay contest. I choose RenCon this weekend because its local and small, and it’s the first year. The competition was amazing and there were a ton of great costumes in the contest. I mostly wanted to go through the process to get feedback from the judges so I could better prepare for future contests.

Once all the judging was through, I hung around to see who the winners were going to be. After third and second place had been announced in the beginner category, I was sure it was over for me. I thought I may have squeezed into third place, but there was no way I’d get first place on my first ever contest, especially not with these judges who have seen it all and judged dozens if not hundreds of contests in total.

I typed, “I didn’t win…” into my phone to text my wife and just before I hit send, they said my name. I was shocked…and still am. Despite the 150+ hours of work I’ve put into Ashitaka, I was just totally not expecting it! I am so thankful and grateful to the judges and to all the other cosplayers who have inspired me and taught me so many things on this journey. Now I need to figure out how I’m going to do even better next time! (Finally finishing the additional pieces on Ashitaka is probably a good next step).

rencon-prize

The prize for first place was this giant box of supplies! A pack of EVA floor mats, a glue gun, contact cement, spray adhesive, instant epoxy, pencils, Sharpies, a heat gun, duct tape, sanding sponges, assorted chip brushes, two different cutting knives and extra blades, a mold making and casting kit from Smooth-on, and, the thing I’m the most excited about, a roll of Worbla.

While everything in the prize box will definitely get put to use, Worbla has been on my list of things to try, but I just haven’t been able to justify the cost. Now that I got a free roll, I can experiment without worrying about throwing away money!

Thanks again to RenCon and ZakLabs (who sponsored the contest) for making a dream come true!

And while I was writing this, I hit 100 likes on my Facebook page! What a great weekend!

Works in Progress : Kanan, Medli, Shiro

A few small updates for everyone.

I’ve made a little bit of progress on my Kanan mask. I’m pretty happy with the shape and fit so now it’s on to the detail work.

Next up, both of my current commissions were kind enough to okay me sharing progress pics so they are no longer secret!

The first one is Medli’s Rito Harp from Zelda Wind Waker. I started by making a blueprint (available for purchase in my shop) and then cut out the pieces. I still have a few more to go before I clean them up and glue them all together. This build is going to be almost entirely EVA with a few pieces of wood.

The last update is that I’ve also started working on Shiro Galra arm. Well, I’ve started planning. I’ve gathered most of the supplies and this was a test that the lights were the right color and would have guessed right coverage (yes, it’s just taped to my hand). The lighting color is perfect!

Hope you’re enjoying the progress pics!

Works in Progress: Kanan and Bayards, and Commissions  

I wanted to share a few updates with everyone.

First up, work is progressing, albeit slowly on my Season 3 Kanan.

2016-10-13-15-48-22After watching more episodes and getting some good up close screen caps, I’ve heavily revised my prototype mask. This takes into account the two layers, better sizing, outer shape, and the ‘bolts’ (where the bump outs are) which is where I’ll attach the strap.

2016-10-04-15-17-44I also finished printing my Kanan lightsaber. I’m not sure if I’m just going to finish this up and call it good (probably for the first iteration) but my end goal will be to make it even nicer and mold and cast it. I’m going to test out XTC-3D from Smooth-on on this print to see how it does for smoothing everything out.

2016-10-12-15-51-22-2
Keith, Hunk, and Pidge!

I’ve also been hard at work making more bayards. I even made a new mold off of a better master. I moved the seam line and pour spouts and air vents and am very happy with the results! It’s a lot less work for me (and anyone buying one) to clean up a casting now!

I also secured two new commissions! I can’t reveal them yet but I can give a couple of hints. One is from Zelda and one is from Voltron! I especially enjoy doing commissions from properties I love, and both Zelda and Voltron are near and dear to my heart!